[tor-relays] Proper bandwidth units [was: Exit nodes on Gandi]

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Mon Nov 18 05:14:15 UTC 2013

On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 3:47 PM, Eric van der Vlist <vdv at dyomedea.com> wrote:
> Without bandwidth limitation that's true. OTH, I currently consume only
> ~ 50 Gbits/month and the limit is 500 Gbits. Would a relay limited to
> let's say 200 or 300 Gbits/month still be useful for the community?

People, can we please mind using the proper units.
I know Tor doesn't make it easy because Tor itself incorrectly
uses Bytes. But Tor is a network application, and real network
apps are measured in 'bits per second', not 'bytes transferred
off disk', even if the latter is what silly hosters sell by... mostly
due to their presumed need to tie in with their typical customers
supposed Apache access_logs. But believe me, what hosters
really care about is their upstream bill in bps rate, they're just
converting that for access_log presentation to you.
Your further mixing of 'giga bits per month' doesn't help *at all*.
Please try to use 'bits per second' as the common denominator
on this (network application) list.

BTW, Gandi is historically a fairly progressive company. The
right approach could have some good wins there.