[tor-relays] Does TOR need TUN/TAP

Drake Wilson drake at dasyatidae.net
Mon Nov 11 21:15:36 UTC 2013

Quoth Sebastian Pfeifer <sebastian at pfeifer.or.at>, on 2013-11-11 20:36:02 +0100:
> Hello!
> A short question I didn't found in the FAQ or with Google: "Does Tor (as
> an exit node) need a TUN or TAP device"?

It does not require tun/tap; Tor runs over and exits through TCP
sockets exclusively, last I checked.  However:

> servers without TUN/TAP (VRS)

If by this you mean something like OpenVZ or a similar "container"
implementation, such that your node shares kernel memory with other
containers, beware of limitations on the number of sockets you can
have open at once.  Tor keeps a large number of connections open
simultaneously, and if it is not permitted to do this it may not
function properly.

Hope this helps.

   ---> Drake Wilson