[tor-relays] Traffic in port 9050 in a relay (denial of service attack?)

jj tor jjproyects at gmail.com
Tue Nov 5 19:10:09 UTC 2013

Hello again,

indeed, the port 9050 is closed, but not filtered. I've set up a drop rule
in the VPS firewall( Parallels Plesk Panel) on this port, but it's not
working fine.

I am amazed by all the amount of this kind of traffic, more than 700
packets/second. According to Kent Backman, this is the clickfraud net
called "Rotpoi$on" (a lot of info at
https://b.kentbackman.com/2013/04/15/rotpoion-botnet-powered-by-thousands-of
-servers/)

Maybe I'll be able to block all these incoming connections, but I'm afraid
that overall relay performance will decrease drastically because all the
filtering work...

The relay--> Atlas: newTorThird :
https://atlas.torproject.org/#details/ACED456D102F634F8DB3CBE8BC9A96F2569EC33C