[tor-relays] Amazon abuse report

Paritesh Boyeyoko parity.boy at gmail.com
Sat Nov 2 13:46:38 UTC 2013

On Saturday 02 Nov 2013 13:21:39 Moritz Bartl wrote:
> On 11/02/2013 01:15 PM, Paritesh Boyeyoko wrote:
> > Publication of sample exit policies?  Would that encourage exit node
> > operators to run restricted exit policies, and save themselves loads of
> > bandwidth and DMCA headache?
> > Is there a forum where one can put up a sticky post with sample exit
> > policies so that operators can simply cut and paste them into their
> > setups?
> There's
> https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/ReducedExitPolicy ,
> but you probably know that one?

Thanks, yes I've seen that one. :)

I'm just finding it difficult to accept that there's little to be done.  As far
as I can see, the only way BitTorrent content distibution can work across Tor
is because exits are allowing accept *:* as their exit policy - torrent
clients are typically on non-standard ports.

The effect of this is that Tor gets a bad rep for copyright abuse right
alongside BitTorrent, and people shy away from running exits due to
the hassle involved.

Observation:  the URI you linked above is accessed from this page

https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki//doc/TorExitGuidelines

but you must go halfway down the page, under "Handling abuse complaints" to
get to it.  Perhaps on this page

https://www.torproject.org/docs/tor-relay-debian.html.en

running an exit should be given its own section on this page, since running an
exit is rather more involved than running a middle relay?  Perhaps make the
reduced exit policy more prominent so that people are more aware of it?

Question:  why not ship the reduced ExitPolicy as part of the default torrc,
but commented out, and with reject *:* as the default ExitPolicy?  That way,
an exit node operator simply has to uncomment the lines they need, or at least
use it as a guide if they want a less cluttered torrc.

Best,
--
Parity
parity.boy at gmail.com