[tor-relays] Amazon abuse report

Paritesh Boyeyoko parity.boy at gmail.com
Sat Nov 2 12:15:29 UTC 2013

On Friday 01 Nov 2013 20:02:29 Gordon Morehouse wrote:

> What if someone inside a totalitarian state is attempting to upload
> evidence of a massacre to a service which runs on port 80?

Yeah, I did think of this but I thought I'd put it out there anyway.
Unfortunately, too many sites/services don't use SSL.  Well, it's a no-no.

> I'd love to get the bandwidth back from the 16 year olds downloading
> movies and terrible porn over Tor, too, but this won't fly, and y'all
> are gonna get flamed into cinders in about 5... 4... 3... for the
> types of reasons I just mentioned above.

So would I, hence my looking at this to try and knock such 16 year olds off of
the network. :)  However, yourself and Lunar make good points especially
concerning the legal position over traffic redirection and/or manipulation.

Unfortunately, too many BitTorrent trackers are written in PHP, which makes
them easy to integrate into a typical web hosting setup, as opposed to
requiring a VPS or dedi to run the tracker software on a separate port.

So what's the answer?  Education?  Educating torrent users to not use Tor
isn't going to work - if they know enough to use Tor (thanks Azureus, NOT) -
then they're gonna use it, so that's pretty much out.

Publication of sample exit policies?  Would that encourage exit node operators
to run restricted exit policies, and save themselves loads of bandwidth and
DMCA headache?

Is there a forum where one can put up a sticky post with sample exit policies
so that operators can simply cut and paste them into their setups?

Best,
--
Parity
parity.boy at gmail.com