[tor-relays] Amazon abuse report

Paritesh Boyeyoko parity.boy at gmail.com
Fri Nov 1 00:53:48 UTC 2013

On Thursday 31 Oct 2013 15:34:20 Andreas Krey wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Oct 2013 10:43:41 +0000, Paritesh Boyeyoko wrote:
>
> > This is something which has always confused/annoyed me.  How can a Tor
> > node
> > (unless it's exposing its SOCKS interface to the whole world) be classed
> > as an "open proxy"?
>
> The 'open proxy' is simply a tag on the IP address; it does not say that
> the openness actually exists at that address.
>
> > Yes, Exit Relays exit to the clear Internet but they're not exactly open
> > clients for connection (unless specifically configured that way).
>
> Oh, but they are. Anybody with a tor client can use them, and if only a
> single tor client is run with its socks port exposed then all of the
> exit relays become 'open proxies' more along your definition.
>
> Andreas

Hi Andreas --

Thanks for the clarification, and yes in that regard Exit Nodes are open; I
suppose I considered "open" to refer to the clear Internet.

On a related note, just out of interest why was the decision taken that the
default exit policy for an out-of-the-box relay allows any exits at all?

Considering that

a) the majority of people running Tor would be TBB users (and therefore
clients) and

b) running exits can lead to unwanted grief

I would have thought that the default exit policy would be reject *:* for
(can't think of a better word) "safety" reasons.  If someone wants to run an
exit, it is then a deliberate action on their part, as opposed to a default
setting.

Thoughts?
--
Parity