[tor-relays] Multiple Bridges on same AWS Account

Aaron aagbsn at extc.org
Tue May 21 19:01:18 UTC 2013

On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 6:04 PM, <torrelay at mail.md> wrote:

> Greetings!
>
> I currently have 1 bridge relay running on my AWS account.
>
> Is it possible to add another 2 bridge relays to run as separate instances
> from the same AWS account?
>
> I'm wondering if there might be issues with IP address allocation?

If all you want to do is provide a bridge on multiple IP addresses, all you
need to do is add extra ORPort lines to your /etc/tor/torrc that correspond
to any additional IP addresses you have available on the _same_ amazon ec2
instance.

For example:
OrPort 1.3.1.5:443
OrPort 1.3.1.7:443

The bridge-authority and BridgeDB will take care of handing out the extra
addresses without any extra work on your part.

> For example, would I need to make any ammendment to the tor configuration
> file a la 'tor family' to differentiate between the different nodes running
> on the same amazon account?

If you want to run multiple bridges on separate amazon ec2 instances from
your amazon account, please do, but don't add any extra stuff to your torrc.

>From the torrc manpage:
MyFamily node,node,...
      ... snip ...
Do not list any bridge relay as it would compromise its concealment.

The reason is that knowledge of a single bridge should not let you learn
about other bridges (which is what the MyFamily entry would do).

--Aaron

p.s. You should definitely try and set up bridges that provide the obfs3
transport (the torproject deb mirror provide packages for easy use) as we
have the least of these.

Take a look at:
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-relays/2013-April/002089.html
https://www.torproject.org/projects/obfsproxy-debian-instructions.html.en