[tor-relays] DMCA letters

Moritz Bartl moritz at torservers.net
Wed Mar 13 02:20:05 UTC 2013

On 12.03.2013 22:52, Roger Dingledine wrote:
> In theory, it's also the case that you don't have to answer them at all.
> The DMCA takedown requests are sent in error, since they refer to 512(c)
> and it's actually 512(a) that applies in your case.

"Modern" DMCA infringement notices don't refer to any particular law, or
request only a "takedown".

Example from copyright-compliance.com/Irdeto:

"[...]
Therefore, this letter is an official notification to effect removal of
the detected infringement listed in the below report.  The Berne
Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works, the
Universal Copyright Convention, as well as bilateral treaties with other
countries allow for protection of client's copyrighted work even beyond
U.S. borders.  The below documentation specifies the exact location of
the infringement.

We hereby request that you immediately remove or block access to the
infringing material, as specified in the copyright laws, and insure the
user refrains from using or sharing with others unauthorized materials
in the future.
[...]"

I agree that we probably don't have to reply at all, but it just feels
better, and most ISPs want us to "react".

--
Moritz Bartl
https://www.torservers.net/