[tor-relays] DMCA letters

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Tue Mar 12 21:52:38 UTC 2013

On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 09:07:09PM +0100, Moritz Bartl wrote:
> On 12.03.2013 08:41, jvoss at altsci.com wrote:
> > I'm wondering if anyone receives a large number of DMCA infringement
> > notices and whether there was a resolution.
>
> We do. Given that none of the regular DMCA complaint companies were
> interested in following up on our reply, we now auto-reply to DMCA
> complaints coming from a bunch of known addresses.
>
> For some older details and a procmail recipe see
> https://www.torservers.net/wiki/abuse/dmca

In theory, it's also the case that you don't have to answer them at all.
The DMCA takedown requests are sent in error, since they refer to 512(c)
and it's actually 512(a) that applies in your case. So the template that
Wendy wrote originally was to help you explain to your ISP why this
isn't a problem. If your ISP is ok with it, then you could in theory
just bitbucket them all.

So in that case, there's no *legal* need to reply to the original spammer
at all. But it may still be a good idea practically, depending on what
you think they will do if they spam for a while and nobody sends them
the requested extortion money.

--Roger