[tor-relays] Recommended specifications for 1Gbps exit

Matt Joyce toradmin at mttjocy.co.uk
Mon Mar 4 18:37:01 UTC 2013

Just thought I would add a follow up on this in case you were interested
to know what happened, have had the system upgrades already so now has 4
cores and 4GB of RAM, when I initially tried running 2 processes there
was little gain the server only had 1GB of guaranteed RAM at the time
and I'm pretty sure that was the limitation there.

After the upgrade I've already seen the two between them pumping 150Mbit
in each direction with CPU usages of ~90% and ~60%, the new IP is
expected to be online today so should have two further processes up
shortly but I am pretty sure that configuration can probably easily
achieve 400Mbit of capacity for us.

My other concern regarding what the actual network capacity after
sharing might be seems to be looking pretty good after trying a few
(admittedly unscientific) tests. Couple of test downloads from
thinkbroadband's server in UK to the relay in Amsterdam with 8,16 and 64
threads getting a good 70-80MB/s despite the two instances already running.

Of course being a server any contention is more likely going to be on
the other side, but while I can find gigabit capable servers to try
pulling from finding one to try pulling from me is entirely another
story.  I did make a test file if anyone has the connection and 1GB of
bw to try please let me know what you get
http://torexit2.mttjocy.co.uk/1GBtest.bin