[tor-relays] Fwd: Computer requirements for a modest (15-20Mbs) relay?

Andy Isaacson adi at hexapodia.org
Wed Jul 31 00:33:27 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 06:20:29PM -0400, grarpamp wrote:
> Similarly, has anyone ever put a Tor/EFF exit relay notice and
> contact info on their door? Let their neighbors and/or flatmates
> know? Consulted with agencies likely to service warrants?
> Not to stop such legal process, but to lessen through education
> some of the risks involved.

Noisebridge has a flier which is printed and available near the door.
Part of the material is aimed at the volunteer who answers the door to
the law enforcement official; part of the material is aimed at the
official.  The material is at

https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Noisebridge_Tor/FBI

Since the volunteer who opens the door probably hasn't been directly
trained to handle this situation, it's difficult to provide really good
management of the situation.

Also since the IP address is obviously not at the physical address of
the hackerspace, and the primary contact for LE is by phone, there
aren't very many visits.  We've gotten visits from the Secret Service
and the FBI and the volunteers report that it has been straightforward.
Haven't had a visit or a call in several months; I suspect the word has
gotten around the office that it's not a fruitful avenue of
investigation.

-andy