[tor-relays] Fwd: Computer requirements for a modest (15-20Mbs) relay?

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Tue Jul 30 22:20:29 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 6:50 AM, Andy Isaacson <adi at hexapodia.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 01:23:13PM -0400, Zack Weinberg wrote:
>> On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 12:35 PM, Andy Isaacson <adi at hexapodia.org> wrote:
>> > Yes, there are cases of law enforcement seizing all computer gear from a
>> > house with a exit node -- not just the exit node computer.  Most
>> > recently in Austria in a child porn investigation.
>>
>> We did some operational planning for this risk, in conjunction with
>> the university legal and IT departments, when we set up the CMU Tor
>> exit.
>
> Similarly for Noisebridge / Noisetor, we decided to host at a commercial
> facility separate from our "production servers" both for
> cost-per-bandwidth and separation-of-risk reasons.

Physical standoff distance and preparation is certainly best.
Similarly, has anyone ever put a Tor/EFF exit relay notice and
contact info on their door? Let their neighbors and/or flatmates
know? Consulted with agencies likely to service warrants?
Not to stop such legal process, but to lessen through education
some of the risks involved.