[tor-relays] Sitevalley is no longer Tor-friendly

Chris Patti cpatti at gmail.com
Tue Jul 30 15:27:50 UTC 2013

That stinks.

Linode has the same policy WRT exit relays.

If they get too many abuse complaints, they ask you to stop running a
relay.  The way US law is structured, I can't actually blame them for this.

However they don't care if you're running a middle node. Your
bandwidth/VPS, your call.   A *lot* of people run bridge nodes there,
myself included.

-Chris
(Running an exit relay in the US cost effectively seems quite difficult)

On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 11:51 AM, mick <mbm at rlogin.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Jul 2013 10:49:46 -0400
> Tom Ritter <tom at ritter.vg> allegedly wrote:
>
> > Sending this out, as I suspect I am not the only person running a node
> > on SiteValley, as they have pretty good bandwidth for pretty cheap.
> >
> > I had inquired in the beginning if they allowed Tor, and they said
> > yes, but if we get too many abuse complaints we'll shut it down.  So
> > maybe 4 or 5 abuse complaints later they did indeed give me the
> > ultimatum to shut it down or get shut down.  So I made them give me a
> > new IP address, and made it into a middle node.  (The new IP was
> > because I was thinking of making it a bridge.)
>
> Hmm. Pretty crummy AUP. And /very/ crummy treatment of a customer.
>
> I wonder if we are going to see more of this sort of thing now. I
> think the tor network needs greater geographic diversity.
>
> Mick

>  Mick Morgan
>  gpg fingerprint: FC23 3338 F664 5E66 876B  72C0 0A1F E60B 5BAD D312
>  http://baldric.net

Christopher Patti - Geek At Large | GTalk: cpatti at gmail.com | AIM:
chrisfeohpatti | P: (260) 54PATTI
"Technology challenges art, art inspires technology." - John Lasseter,
Pixar