[tor-relays] Yet another underpowered relay?

Roman Mamedov rm at romanrm.ru
Mon Jul 22 17:19:39 UTC 2013

On Mon, 22 Jul 2013 19:08:44 +0200
Logforme <m7527 at abc.se> wrote:

> I recently upgraded from an adsl line to a 100mbit fiber connection.
> Naturally I want to use most of this new bandwidth for my non-exit tor
> relay. However, I run into messages like these:
> Jul 22 17:40:26.000 [warn] Your computer is too slow to handle this many
> circuit creation requests! Please consider using the
> MaxAdvertisedBandwidth config option or choosing a more restricted exit
> policy. [665 similar message(s) suppressed in last 60 seconds]
> Jul 22 17:40:26.000 [warn] Failed to hand off onionskin. Closing. [1509
> similar message(s) suppressed in last 21600 seconds]
>
> Relay fingerprint: BE71 DC9D A443 5855 FAE1 E369 7080 1A60 0D51 3684
>
> Relevant torrc settings:
> BandwidthRate 10 MB
> BandwidthBurst 10 MB
> NumCPUs 2
>
> I did some research and came up with the following things to try:
> Set "MaxAdvertisedBandwidth x MB"
> Set "MaxOnionsPending 250"
> Get a faster computer / Get a computer with AES-NI

See some advice here: http://archives.seul.org/or/relays/Aug-2010/msg00034.html

Also are you running with a lot of iptables/ip6tables rules active (or any at
all)? If you do, consider rewriting them so that at least 'conntrack' is not
used (check that you can do "rmmod ipt_conntrack" cleanly, or it's not loaded
in the first place).

--
With respect,
Roman