[tor-relays] Checking my Tor bridge and adventage of dynamic ip addresses

Karsten Loesing karsten at torproject.org
Sat Jul 20 06:42:18 UTC 2013

On 7/19/13 10:36 PM, nobleeightfoldpath at lavabit.com wrote:
> 1. the ip address of my bridge is after around two days still the old
> address in the db (ie. http://makepanic.github.io/emberjs-tor-onionoo).
> That's probably why no one uses the bridge!? Testing with configuring
> the client to use my bridge (with my actual address) works well! So it
> is an unintended private bridge :) any ideas to trigger the db to change
> the address?

Not sure which IP address you're referring to and whether or not it
should change.  Can you paste your hashed fingerprint here and say which
piece of information should be updated and why?

Note that 10.x.y.z isn't really your bridge's IP address.  I wonder if
it should be taken out from the bridge details page or at least better
documented.  Here's the documentation from the Onionoo protocol page:

"or_addresses": Array of sanitized IPv4 or IPv6 addresses and TCP ports
or port lists where the bridge accepts onion-routing connections. The
first address is the primary onion-routing address that the bridge used
to register in the network, subsequent addresses are in arbitrary order.
IPv6 hex characters are all lower-case. Sanitized IP addresses are
always in 10/8 or [fd9f:2e19:3bcf/48] IP networks and are only useful to
learn which IP version the bridge uses and to detect whether the bridge
changed its address. Sanitized IP addresses always change on the 1st of
every month at 00:00:00 UTC, regardless of the bridge actually changing
its IP address. TCP ports are not sanitized. Required field. (Source:
https://onionoo.torproject.org/)

Best,
Karsten