[tor-relays] Need help to get TorDNSEL compiled

BlueStar88 bluestar88 at xenobite.eu
Tue Jul 16 11:59:17 UTC 2013

Hi there,

today I've read about the outage at "check.torproject.org". Since my torcheck-service "torcheck.xenobite.eu" needs the underlying TorDNSEL feature I'm trying to get this to work on my host. Like this I won't need to query the TorDNSEL-part of "check.torproject.org" anymore.

I'm not into programming and do not know anything about haskell, c++ and such. So be patient with me on such matters. ;-)

I've DL'ed the code from the internet website mirror [2].

I've prepp'ed all the dependencies using lucid binary packages:

 ghc6			6.12.1-12
 libghc6-mtl-dev	1.1.0.2-10
 libghc6-network-dev	2.2.1.7-1
 libghc6-time-dev	1.1.2.4-2
 libghc6-hunit-dev	1.2.2.1-2
 libssl-dev		0.9.8k-7ubuntu8.15

 libghc6-stm-prof	2.1.1.2-5
 libghc6-binary-prof	0.5.0.2-1

First error I got on compile attempt was:

 src/TorDNSEL/Main.hs:81:21: parse error on input `#'

That was quite easy thought:

 import GHC.Prim (Addr#)

I deleted the '#' hopefully making it correct this way.

Next error is some numbers too high for me now:

 src/TorDNSEL/DeepSeq.hs:20:7:
    Could not find module `Data.ByteString':
      It is a member of the hidden package `bytestring-0.9.1.5'.
      Perhaps you need to add `bytestring' to the build-depends in your .cabal file.
      Use -v to see a list of the files searched for.

The libghc6-bytestring-dev-0.9.1.5-125af ist installed by it's main package ghc6 6.12.1-12.

Any ideas?

Or are there some binary packages for TorDNSEL around, to make this more easy for me? :-P

Thanks,

BlueStar88

[1] https://blog.torproject.org/blog/tor-check-outage-03-and-04-july-2013
[2] https://www.torproject.org/tordnsel/dist/tordnsel-0.0.6.tar.gz