[tor-relays] Home broadband - worth running a relay?

Alistair Ferguson ferguson.alistair at googlemail.com
Fri Jul 12 15:39:48 UTC 2013

Hi Guys,

I would second the cheap VPS option.

In the past I have run a relay at home and on a number of cheap VPS
providers with only one having an issue with my request to run a relay.
Living in the UK I found the low upload speed and dynamic IP made the home
relay perform rather poorly while having a notable affect on my home web
browsing.
Having a cheap VPS also offers the advantage of a remote development
platform, the possibility of hosting your own website (a socks proxy has
been pretty handy at bypassing my works web proxy).
As previously stated, lowendbox is a great place to start looking for one I
would suggest going dutch as they offer great performance/bandwidth for
your £.

BR,
Alistair.