[tor-relays] Home broadband - worth running a relay?

Richard Edmondson wistle123 at tormail.org
Fri Jul 12 08:22:02 UTC 2013

Hi Nick,

I'm not sure whether the stories are true or not but I have heard of
people having their computer kit confiscated for running an exit node.

I'd go for a non-exit relay and see how that works. You can limit the
bandwidth the node will use, so if you find it eats up all your resource,
you can lower it.

Just out of interest, which ISP do you use. I'm on Talk Talk and I'm
having a lot of hassle setting up a non-exit relay. Just can't seem to get
it to stay on-line.

Cheers,
Richard

> Hi there,
>
> I have a reasonable ADSL connection, and a little always-on server.
> The bandwidth is in the region of 2Mib/s down, something less up
> (maybe 256Kib/s). Is it useful for me to run a tor relay with this
> bandwidth? I'd like to run one which isn't an exit, at least for
> now.
>
> If not, am I correct in thinking that a bridge is an appropriate
> help? That's what I'm doing currently, but if a relay would be more
> useful I'd be very happy to do that.
>
> One other unrelated(ish) question: I'm in the UK, where the idea of
> censorship isn't resisted as strongly as it ought to be, and as a
> result my internet connection is subject to a smallish amount of
> censorship: whatever is on the secret IWF blacklist plus the pirate
> bay. Does this mean that running an exit node from a home connection
> here at some point in the future would not be helpful? Or only if
> all HTTP(S) was blocked (as the IWF blacklist is secret there's
> presumably no way to tell the tor network what is inaccessible from
> this node).
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Nick

Best Wishes,