[tor-relays] Home broadband - worth running a relay?

Nick tor-relays at njw.me.uk
Thu Jul 11 20:43:00 UTC 2013

Hi there,

I have a reasonable ADSL connection, and a little always-on server.
The bandwidth is in the region of 2Mib/s down, something less up
(maybe 256Kib/s). Is it useful for me to run a tor relay with this
bandwidth? I'd like to run one which isn't an exit, at least for
now.

If not, am I correct in thinking that a bridge is an appropriate
help? That's what I'm doing currently, but if a relay would be more
useful I'd be very happy to do that.

One other unrelated(ish) question: I'm in the UK, where the idea of
censorship isn't resisted as strongly as it ought to be, and as a
result my internet connection is subject to a smallish amount of
censorship: whatever is on the secret IWF blacklist plus the pirate
bay. Does this mean that running an exit node from a home connection
here at some point in the future would not be helpful? Or only if
all HTTP(S) was blocked (as the IWF blacklist is secret there's
presumably no way to tell the tor network what is inaccessible from
this node).

Thanks in advance,

Nick