[tor-relays] Final Warning Notice

Mike Perry mikeperry at torproject.org
Thu Jul 11 18:21:19 UTC 2013

Chris Sheats:
> Mike-
> >> Is their problem the amount of work they have to do because of the abuse
> >> and legal complaints? Then offer to handle them directly.
> >>
> >> The best way to do so is to become the contact address for the IP. With
> >> your Regional Internet Registry, the process is usually called SWIP [1].
> >> The issue you might run into is that SWIP is only available for a
> >> minimum of 8 IPv4 addresses. So they might charge you more and you might
> >> have to switch to a new IP address.
> >>
> >> You probably should switch to a non-exit policy while negociating. If
> >> you and CondoInternet are not able to find a process where you could
> >> handle abuses directly, fast non-exit relays with good bandwidth are
> >> still a very useful contribution to the network! (and they would not get
> >> any legal complaints)
> >
> > Yes, I want to emphasize the value of being a high capacity non-exit
> > relay. I want to investigate various types of padding for Website
> > Traffic Fingerprinting and correlation, and I think that if we end up
> > having more Guard bandwidth than Exit bandwidth, we can write parameters
> > into the consensus that instruct clients to use this extra capacity for
> > padding:
> > https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/7028
> >
> > Did they shut you down entirely, even forbidding non-exit for some
> > reason? Or did you decide to move to a new ISP that supports exits?
>
> I turned Tor off voluntarily, and have been planning on reconfiguring
> my node for relay-only traffic. In previous correspondence, I asked if
> there were any other Tor Exit's on their network, and they said no. So
> this isn't a good precedent for TorProject/Seattle volunteers
> considering that they provide 100 and 1000 Mbps service.

Yeah, this is the flip side to my suggestion of switching to non-exit..
In terms of advocacy for Tor, it may be more important to send them a
message by taking your business elsewhere.

I guess it all depends on how expensive their service is, and if you
would keep using it anyway for other purposes.

How much does the service cost? And you only get 1 dedicated IP at
1Gbit, or do you get more?

Note that only 1 IP means you can only run 2 Tor instances on that, and
even with AES-NI, each Tor instance probably caps out at about 300Mbit
at most. Without AES-NI, you probably could only push 100-150Mbit per
Tor instance...

--
Mike Perry