[tor-relays] Final Warning Notice

Mike Perry mikeperry at torproject.org
Thu Jul 11 15:43:30 UTC 2013

Lunar:
> Chris Sheats:
> > Hey tor-relays,
> >
> > The past few months, since I upgraded my net connection to 1Gbps, I've
> > hit the top 40 fastest relays and the top 20 fastest exit nodes,
> > peaking to over 17 MB/s. I've always prided the fact that my ISP,
> > CondoInternet in Seattle, has been very welcoming of my reduced exit
> > node. In the past, the malicious activity hasn't been "too much" for
> > my ISP--examples here: http://yawnbox.com/1461--but now they want me
> > to shut it down. What are my options?

By "reduced", were you using the ReducedExitPolicy? This would eliminate
the bittorrent complaints. It sounds like you were, but I wanted to
confirm (and your node is no longer in the consensus :/).

https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/ReducedExitPolicy

> Is their problem the amount of work they have to do because of the abuse
> and legal complaints? Then offer to handle them directly.
>
> The best way to do so is to become the contact address for the IP. With
> your Regional Internet Registry, the process is usually called SWIP [1].
> The issue you might run into is that SWIP is only available for a
> minimum of 8 IPv4 addresses. So they might charge you more and you might
> have to switch to a new IP address.
>
> You probably should switch to a non-exit policy while negociating. If
> you and CondoInternet are not able to find a process where you could
> handle abuses directly, fast non-exit relays with good bandwidth are
> still a very useful contribution to the network! (and they would not get
> any legal complaints)

Yes, I want to emphasize the value of being a high capacity non-exit
relay. I want to investigate various types of padding for Website
Traffic Fingerprinting and correlation, and I think that if we end up
having more Guard bandwidth than Exit bandwidth, we can write parameters
into the consensus that instruct clients to use this extra capacity for
padding:

Did they shut you down entirely, even forbidding non-exit for some
reason? Or did you decide to move to a new ISP that supports exits?

--
Mike Perry