[tor-relays] SWIPing IPs (Was Re: Final Warning Notice)

Tom Ritter tom at ritter.vg
Wed Jul 10 01:38:27 UTC 2013

On 7/9/2013 9:03 PM, hack at riseup.net wrote:
> A brief "whois" on the IP 216.243.58.198 reveals that the abuse address is
> listed as CondoInternet.
>
> Does anybody have experience getting an IP allocation so that the abuse
> address is listed differently?
>
> I have little experience, but perhaps this is a way out of this problem if
> condo's problem is the number of abuse complaints and the time it takes
> them.

It's my understanding that very few (and by very few I don't know or have ever heard of any) who will SWIP (change the abuse contact) an IP for anything under a /28 allocation. If one would SWIP a single IP, it'd probably require a very expensive bandwidth package.

I've thought quite a bit about pooling resources and getting a /28 from a provider, and then assigning those IPs as secondary IPs on cheap VPS providers, and then routing the traffic via encrypted IPSEC/GRE tunnels.  But the /28 would have to be advertised in a single location, because people won't do BGP routes for single IPs (or maybe even /28s).

So if the /28 was registered in a datacenter in Chicago, all exit traffic would go to that datacenter (bad) then be shipped to the real Tor node in say Europe (slow), and then do the 3-hop Tor path.  So I eventually gave up on that idea.

But my networking kung-fu is not as strong as others, so maybe via multicast or anycasts tricks this could work?

-tom