[tor-relays] ServerAstra from hungary allows exit relays

Steve Snyder swsnyder at snydernet.net
Wed Jan 9 13:49:43 UTC 2013

My experience with ServerAstra is that they will null-route your IP
address on reports of abuse.  No notification to me, their customer.

This put me in the position on several occasions of noticing that my VPS
had been down for x days.  It was only when opening a Support Ticket to
complain about lack of service that I was told my IP address had been
null-routed due to abuse reports.

Here's an example of what I was told:

"Your VPS has been blocked automatically on numerous accounts of virus,
malware activity and spamming, and got itself into several block lists.
Please clean up the vps and fix the issues which are allowing such
things to happen, as we keep our network secure and free of these
problems.  Your VPS ip will be enabled again rightaway but please
prevent further abuse of our network resources."

This while running an exit node with the Reduced Exit Policy.

This was my experience from Feb through May of last year.  They may not
have a policy against exit nodes but they sure make it difficult to keep
one running.