[tor-relays] DigitalOcean, cheap VPS that's ok with middle relays

tor-admin tor-admin at torland.me
Tue Jan 8 20:30:54 UTC 2013

On Tuesday 08 January 2013 20:51:52 Moritz Bartl wrote:
> Thanks for the hint. In general, I don't see why VPS providers would not
> allow internal Tor relaying, and I would not even bother to ask first.
> Interesting values to know about VPS providers are bandwidth allowance
> ("unlimited" is quite obviously a marketing term; often, limits can only
> be discovered by some months of experience) and [socket/numfile]
> limitations. Support is often reluctant to provide such values before
> ordering. A good way to characterize VPS offers is to post the output of
> "cat /proc/user_beancounters".

Before using dedicated server to run Tor I tested several VPS provider like
Host Europe, Server4you and other smaller VPS hoster. For all VPS the maximal
number of concurrent TCP connection was so small, that it made no sense to run
Tor on it. So VPS provider guarantee unlimited Bandwidth but other limitations
make these offers useless.

Regards,

Torland