[tor-relays] Registration of a Tor node at the German Bundesnetzagentur

tor-admin tor-admin at torland.me
Tue Jan 1 21:30:20 UTC 2013

Hi,

this is a question more specific for the German jurisdiction. At the 29C3 in
Hamburg I attended a interesting talk about open WIFI (http://is.gd/9G8AVA
unfortunately in German) who was given by Reto Mantz
(http://www.offenenetze.de/).

He gave the advice to register open WIFIs which are operated by non-profits at
the German Bundesnetzagentur, because this is required under German law for
companies (http://is.gd/vcz2pZ). I am wondering if there are Tor nodes
operated by Germans who have been registered at the Bundesnetzagentur. >From my
layman’s understanding of the law this should at least be required for nodes
operated by German non-profits like CCC and Torservers. I am specially
interested in the case of a node which runs in a data center outside of
Germany but is operated by a German non-profit.

As I operate my nodes privately I am unsure if registration of my tor nodes is
required. I will check with my lawyer if a registration should be done and
could help to run the nodes more securely concerning law enforcement. Having
information from others would help to clarify this.

Thanks & regards,

torland