[tor-relays] Recommended specifications for 1Gbps exit

Moritz Bartl moritz at torservers.net
Tue Feb 26 13:57:34 UTC 2013

Hi Matt,

Tor indeed does not use more than one core for most of its operations,
effectively limiting throughput to ~100MBps per Tor process on a
non-AES-NI machine.

A CPU with AES-NI support can do up to 300-400MBps per Tor process.

You will have to run multiple Tor processes.

See https://www.torservers.net/wiki/setup/server#multiple_tor_processes
for a handy initscript.

On 26.02.2013 14:46, Matt Joyce wrote:
> I am wondering if anyone with experience in this area could advise me
> some on recommended specifications for a 1Gbps exit I think my latest
> once needs a package upgrade to handle it, currently seems stuck at
> around 100Mbps worth of traffic.  Currently it has access to 3 v cores
> @1.33Ghz and 1GB of RAM and I think the latter might be becoming the
> limit instead now I had thought it was the CPU when it had just the one
> core but that alone hasn't helped.
>
> I am not entirely sure if tor is infact using the other cores though
> watching with top it is sitting at 100 or a fraction over like 104% or
> so.  MaxCPU's is set in torrc to 4 as the OS sees 4 virtual cores but is
> capped to 300% by the hypervisor perhaps it should be set to 3 not sure
> if there is any benefit in setting to 4 I have limited experience with
> virtual servers but unfortunately a fully dedicated server for tor is
> financially out of my budget at the moment.
>
> Also, just to confirm while I'm aware it's very possible that the
> limitation could be bandwidth given it shares with the other VPS'es on
> the host I don't believe that was the case, I pulled a backup from there
> to another server of mine on a different AS and continent and it
> transferred at 250Mbps while tor was running at 100Mbps the entire time,
> so unless the contention is over the download which seems less likely
> for a server I think we should be able to get a good 300Mbps of exit
> capacity out of this possibly more.
>
> So can anyone can advise on recommended CPU, RAM have to consider budget
> but will try and meet them, also if there are any settings I should
> check in torrc?

Moritz Bartl
https://www.torservers.net/