[tor-relays] US Investigators seem to learn

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 09:59:09 UTC 2013

> I thought I would let you know: Our US hoster is regularly contacted by
> law enforcement about our exits there. Some agents ask if the traffic
> pattern is balanced, ie. if the same amount of traffic enters and leaves
> the box.
>
> I always argue that this is a good indicator for Tor traffic, and that
> it is bad to mix Tor traffic with other traffic for that exact reason.

Due to encryption and compression it might only be balanced to
within some typical ratio. I'm sure you have a handle on that number.
But that any non 1:1 ratio could make it appear to be serving (or
receiving) continual amounts of data. Which in the eye of agents
could raise question. Another question is whether these US hosts
are just volunteering this data to whoever comes asking, with or
without your instruction, or complying with formal legal orders?

On the plus side, hopefully everyone is coming away with the
fact that it's just an uninteresting, agnostic, relay service and
time is better spent elsewhere.