[tor-relays] [tor-talk] Legal problems: TOR relay & Torrents in .de

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 19:34:40 UTC 2013

> I've snail-mailed them a letter based on what Moritz had posted. They
> replied with a standardized letter without even commenting on my
> statements. It's basically saying "Last chance to pay or we'll go to
> court."
>
> So I'm a little unsure whether or not it's now time to actually
> consult a lawyer or wait until FOX makes it's next move.

I believe what some others were saying is to simply ignore any initial
complaints that come in which appear to be automated or are in
some way not sufficiently personalized, lacking in real data, or stamped
by a court. Just because someone complains from getting emailspam
or can scrape peers off a tracker could just be a courtesy or idle probe.
If such first notices bother you, sure, have an initial consult with a lawyer
for potential future engagement if needed. But now that you have snailmailed
them, it is raised on different level. One for which some would surely say
a five minute chat with a prospective lawyer is wise.

Also, if other people on the list get such first notices and don't know
what to do with them, redacting any identifying material and posting
the remaining full text [from an anonymous account if prudent to
further avoid confirmation] would let others get a sense of what is
out there and offer any experience. Just saying 'I got a mail about
filesharing from my node and I mailed them back' doesn't help the poster
or others. Then again, we're not lawyers, consult a real one as needed.