[tor-relays] EC2 IP vs Region & Does this matter in the Tor network?

Karsten Loesing karsten at torproject.org
Sun Feb 10 07:49:44 UTC 2013

On 2/10/13 8:20 AM, David Gilbert wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm operating 6 relays in the EC2 where 4/6 claim to be located outside
> the US but only 1/6 show up as outside of the US based on the IP address
> and report on atlas (https://atlas.torproject.org/#search/relay1org,
> don't heckle, I'm getting an idea of pricing and boosting speed over the
> next 5 months).

Hi David,

Atlas is wrong here, because its back-end service Onionoo uses an
outdated GeoIP database.  I'll look into updating it today.

Recent Tor clients use an updated GeoIP database which resolves these
addresses to US, JP, IE, US, AU, and SG.

(I can't say much about the rest of your question, and rather than
guessing, I'll leave it to somebody else.)

Best,
Karsten