[tor-relays] My Relay has slowed significantly.

Roman Mamedov rm at romanrm.ru
Sun Feb 3 14:42:54 UTC 2013

On Sun, 3 Feb 2013 16:14:07 +0200
Konstantinos Asimakis <inshame at gmail.com> wrote:

> Why would traffic fall after becoming a guard node? Aren't guard nodes
> selected as middle nodes too?

"clients avoid using relays with the Guard flag for hops other than the
first hop, since they assume they've got lots of load from clients who
are using them for the first hop -- but when you first get your Guard
flag, nobody uses you as a guard yet, so you don't have much traffic."
-- arma at mit.edu

You don't follow tor-talk@?

> > Personally I don't agree with the theory behind "Guards", and it is highly
> > annoying that there is no way to prevent nodes from becoming Guard.
> >
> What don't you agree with? With the fact that Tor sticks to a set of three
> nodes for the first hop of each circuit

This ^

> or with the way the guard flag is awarded to nodes?

There should exist a torrc option of "I don't want it, dammit."

--
With respect,
Roman