[tor-relays] bandwith unit

Jobiwan Kenobi helpme.jobiwan at gmail.com
Tue Dec 17 16:26:42 UTC 2013

On Dec 17, 2013, at 13:38 , Kiss Gabor (Bitman) wrote:

> Dear folks,
>
> I'm tor relay operator since several years but newbie on this list.
>
> I just moved node 'traktor' from physical host to virtual machine.
> So I revised all settings and checked if all works well.
> I found a funny thing.
>
> My RelayBandwidthRate is set to 1 MB (i.e. 8 Mbps).
>
>  ## Define these to limit how much relayed traffic you will allow. Your
>  ## own traffic is still unthrottled. Note that RelayBandwidthRate must
>  ## be at least 20 KB.
>  ## Note that units for these config options are bytes per second, not bits
>  ## per second, and that prefixes are binary prefixes, i.e. 2^10, 2^20, etc.
>  #RelayBandwidthRate 100 KB  # Throttle traffic to 100KB/s (800Kbps)
>  #RelayBandwidthBurst 200 KB # But allow bursts up to 200KB/s (1600Kbps)
>  RelayBandwidthRate 1 MB
>
> However on page
> https://globe.torproject.org/#/search/query=traktor
> the "Adverised Bandwith" column shows cca. 125 kB/s.
>
> Did I misunderstand the difference between kbps and kBps?
>
> Gabor

There are 2 applicable options in your torrc:

RelayBandwidthRate
MaxAdvertisedBandwidth

The former actually throttles your traffic; the latter does not.
Both may be omitted.
The lower of the two is what you should see in Globe or Atlas.
MaxAdvertisedBandwidth should not be higher than RelayBandwidthRate.

If you don't use any units, the number is the amount of Bytes per second.

It may take some time for the site to reflect the correct information.
I believe it is based on consensus data from directory authorities.

-Job