[tor-relays] Understanding bandwidth rate

Wed Dec 11 10:28:55 UTC 2013

Am Dienstag, 10. Dezember 2013, 11:47:45 schrieb Florian Lindner:
> Hello,
>
> I'm using tor 0.2.3.25 from Debian Wheezy, the exit policy is recject *.*, I'm not using the node myself.
>
> arm shows these actual bandwidths:
>
> Bandwidth (limit: 16 Mb/s, burst: 32 Mb/s, measured: 48.6 Kb/s):
> Download (13.9 Mb/sec   - avg: 11.3 Mb/sec, total: 211.9 GB):
> Upload (16.0 Mb/sec   - avg: 12.6 Mb/sec, total: 237.9 GB):
>
> This is my related config:
>
> BandwidthRate             5 MB   # not set in config
> BandwidthBurst            10 MB  # not set in config
> RelayBandwidthRate        2 MB   # set in config
> RelayBandwidthBurst       4 MB   # set in config
>
> I'm a bit puzzled....
>
> Why is bandwidth limit 16 Mb/s? Why bandwidth burst 32 Mb/s?

Thanks for the clarification. I was not aware that the config uses bytes, while arm uses bits for rates and bytes for totals. I must say I was not really expecting usage of bit/s at this place and deem it inconsistent. Usually I encounter bit/s only only at very low levels, close to the metal, like hardware interfaces (exception: audio streaming rates).

Any chance changing Mb/s to MB/s thoughout arm?

Regards,
Florian