[tor-relays] Setting up AWS cloud-relay - don't reserve expensive storage!

Runa A. Sandvik runa.sandvik at gmail.com
Mon Dec 9 02:28:52 UTC 2013

On Mon, Dec 9, 2013 at 1:49 AM, Nick Sheppard <nshep at attglobal.net> wrote:
> On 08/12/13 23:22, Runa A. Sandvik wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, Dec 8, 2013 at 10:26 PM, Nick Sheppard <nshep at attglobal.net>
>> wrote:

>>> Nice idea, but I don't think I'd have a case.  The 1024 GB is there on
>>> the
>>> setup screen (at least it is for eu-west-1), there were many ways I could
>>> have seen how much unused storage I had, I could have checked my bill
>>> more
>>> often, I could easily have set up an email alert for when the bill passed
>>> set threshold ...
>>

>> @AWSSupport replied to my tweet saying they have reached out to you
>> via the AWS Support Center at https://aws.amazon.com/support.
>>

> ... and not only did they reach out to me, they immediately gave me a full
> refund.  So a big thank-you to Runa for your very effective tweet! :) :) :)
> Perhaps this will persuade Roger Dingledine that the folks at AWS love
> kittens and rainbows as much as we do ...

Great, glad I could help!

> However (for there is a "however") I'm now even more puzzled by the default
> settings.  Mickey N at AWS replied that:
>
> "It's my understanding that when a Linux/RHEL instances are launched, the
> default amount of EBS storage in every region is set to 6GB. ... I've
> attached a screenshot of the Management Console page where the default 6GB
> is displayed."
>
> And the 6 is in exactly the same place where we see 4 (on us-east-1) and
> 1024 elsewhere.  I've pointed this out to AWS.  I have no idea what's
> happening here.

I have a support ticket open and have been talking to Mickey about
this. It seems all the instances, excluding us-east-1, were created
with storage space set to 1024 GB. This is interesting because I only
ever created one instance, us-east-1, and then used the AMI copy
function [1] to copy the instance to the other regions.

I will write an update when I hear back/when this issue has been resolved.

[1]: http://aws.amazon.com/about-aws/whats-new/2013/03/12/announcing-ami-copy-for-amazon-ec2/

--
Runa A. Sandvik