[tor-relays] Setting up AWS cloud-relay - don't reserve expensive storage!

Nick tor-relays at njw.me.uk
Sun Dec 8 19:02:52 UTC 2013

Quoth Roger Dingledine:
> On Sun, Dec 08, 2013 at 04:00:06PM +0000, Nick Sheppard wrote:
> > At the end of the month I got a bill for 120 dollars. And Amazon
> > were quite right - they were charging me for the 1024 GB of storage
> > I had accidentally asked for by not changing the default when I set
> > up the instance.  The first 30 GB were free, the other 994 I was
> > paying for. And I was only actually using 1.5 GB ...
>
> *Storage*? As in, disk space? Surely you mean bandwidth, but you
> seem quite clearly to mean disk space, so I'm confused.

Sounds to me like Amazon decided the instance should be given 1024GB
of disk space by default, regardless of the fact that it (obviously)
remained completely unused.

Nick, if Amazon were a reasonable company that certainly ought to be
the sort of thing you could say "I didn't realise, it was
misleading, and I didn't use the offered space, please refund me".
However given their love of automation and robotic offerings I
suspect such pleas would be ignored.