[tor-relays] Your system clock just jumped

Ognyan Kulev ogi at tower.3.bg
Wed Dec 4 07:05:25 UTC 2013

>>> Lately I have seen a couple of incidents where the number of
>>> connections suddenly goes up to over 3000, traffic increases
>>> heavily, CPU usage goes well over 150% (out of possible 200).
>>> Traffic can go up to between 500 and 1000 KB/sec for long periods
>>> of time. Sometimes it seems that my relay just can't take it
>>> anymore. In the log, the ratio of TAP handshakes goes wild, and I
>>> get clock jump warnings. My clock does not jump. This is Tor
>>> hanging while allocating memory.

My very cheap home router couldn't handle many connections and crashed
often. I solved the issue by disabling Hidden Services and now number of
connections is very low and everything is smooth. (But I have just
bought a new home router so I'll allow HS soon.) The magic configuration
line is:

HidServDirectoryV2 0

Best regards,
Ognyan Kulev