[tor-relays] huge increase in relay traffic

tor at t-3.net tor at t-3.net
Fri Aug 30 17:17:32 UTC 2013

Our relay is a few weeks old and I think it is still in the process of
ramping up its utilization to its configured max. Because of that,
I find it hard to judge what may be excessive on it.

The last log on our server had it at 13,110 circuits open. Yesterday
it hit 10,000 once but seemed to be more hanging around 8,000.
The server's CPU is around 75% utilization. I don't see any error
messages in the logs indicating inability to accommodate circuit
requests. Traffic is higher today than yesterday but looking at it
in the context of the past week and the steady increase,
it's not way out of line.

Only odd thing I saw this in the logs was this. I've put in
XXXXXXXX to cover the IP address, as I don't know what the log is
about.

"Aug 30 12:07:02.000 [warn] Received http status code 504 ("Gateway
Time-out")
from server 'XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:80' while fetching "

And then there is a very long string designating a path
which starts with "/tor/server" and then has a whole bunch of 40-digit
hexadecimal numbers separated with + signs, and then the whole thing
ends with a single ".z". Then the line says "I'll try again soon."
.
.
.