[tor-relays] ExitPolicy reject *:* ships commented out?

gordon@thisblueroom.net gordon at morehouse.me
Thu Aug 29 21:35:37 UTC 2013

I convinced a friend to run a Tor relay (he was happy to do so) but he claims he just upgraded and that this line:

ExitPolicy reject *:* # no exits allowed

is commented out by default.  So his VPS got shut down over a bunch of complaints and he got banned from Freenode on it.

Is that true?  I could've sworn 0.2.4.x shipped with that as the *default* exit policy - as it should, given the potentially catastrophic legal consequences in some countries for those setting up a relay who unwittingly set up an exit relay rather than a middle node.

Best,
-Gordon M.