[tor-relays] new relays

mick mbm at rlogin.net
Tue Aug 27 19:15:44 UTC 2013

On Tue, 27 Aug 2013 11:08:34 -0500
Jon Gardner <jon at brazoslink.net> allegedly wrote:

> On Aug 22, 2013, at 11:56 AM, mick <mbm at rlogin.net> wrote:
>
> > Tor is neutral. You and I may agree that certain usage is unwelcome,
> > even abhorrent, but we cannot dictate how others may use an
> > anonymising service we agree to provide. If you have a problem with
> > that, you probably should not be running a tor node.
>
> Then why have exit policies? Exit nodes regularly block "unwelcome"
> traffic like bittorrent, and there's only a slight functional
> difference between that and using a filter in front of the node to
> block things like porn (which, come to think of it, also tends to be
> a bandwidth hog like bittorrent--so it doesn't have to be just a
> moral question). If someone has a problem with exit nodes blocking
> things like porn (or bittorrent, or...), then they probably should
> not be using Tor.
>
> The very idea of Tor is based on moral convictions (e.g., that
> personal privacy is a good thing, that human rights violations and
> abuse of power are bad things, etc.).

Nope. Not in my view. Tor's USP is anonymity of access to any and
all network resources. I say again, tor is neutral. It cares
not about what those resources are - it just shovels bits.

And as a relay operator I cannot say that bits of type A are OK to
retrieve but not bits of type B. I do not even know what type of bits
are transferred.

As someone else here said "censorship implies surveillance".

> The Tor devs go to great lengths to try to keep "evil" governments
> from using Tor against itself. Why not devote some effort toward
> keeping "evil" traffic off of Tor?

Define "evil" (or its converse "good"). I'd bet that given any random
selection of people in a room you'd get a broad spectrum of views. The
only way you can safely meet /all/ those views is not to take a
position at all and remain neutral.

I repeat tor is neutral.

> It's worth discussion.

I agree.

Best

Mick

 Mick Morgan
 gpg fingerprint: FC23 3338 F664 5E66 876B  72C0 0A1F E60B 5BAD D312
 http://baldric.net