[tor-relays] How to block IP address on exit node relay

krishna e bera keb at cyblings.on.ca
Tue Aug 27 03:48:58 UTC 2013

On 13-08-26 04:57 PM, Piotrkowska wrote:
> I am running an exit node under reduced exit policy on a VPS. My
> provider requested that I block a specific IP address due to spam
> issues. I'm guessing I should add a line in the torrc file. Can
> anyone tell me the exact line I have to add to the torrc file to
> block the address?
>
> Something like: "reject 12.34.567.89" ?

Yes that exit policy would work, assuming that your provider wants to
block traffic from your exit node having that ip address as its
*destination*.  You could specify a specific port as well, to avoid
blocking non-spam traffic of different types to that machine.

If your provider intends for traffic having that ip address as its
*origin* to be blocked, you will not be able to do so at your exit node.
 I don't know of any such thing as an "entry policy" nor recommendations
for tor relay operators other than using good security practices to fend
off attacks.