[tor-relays] new relays

mick mbm at rlogin.net
Thu Aug 22 16:56:18 UTC 2013

On Thu, 22 Aug 2013 08:45:33 -0500
a432511 <a432511 at mail49.org> allegedly wrote:

> I just spun up 2 relays (1 exit, 1 non-exit) in Amsterdam using
> DigitalOcean as the VPS provider. It's been up for about 8 hours now.
> Here was the message I sent to them regarding the servers:

I have three DigitalOcean VMs. One in Amsterdam is a (non-exit)
relay (https://baldric.net/2013/01/13/what-a-difference-a-gig-makes/),
the other two, in SanFrancisco and NYC, are tails mirrors. /Before/
starting the tor relay I specifically asked DO if they had any problems
with tor. They told me much what they have apparently told you.
Certainly I gained the impression that they would not be happy if
their IP addresses appeared in abuse complaints.
(https://www.digitalocean.com/community/questions/tor) I followed up
that conversation in a support ticket and they have been fine with me
running a relay ever since.

> The other thing that I am weighing is just a moral question regarding
> misuse of the Tor network for despicable things like child porn. I
> understand that of all the traffic it is a small percentage and that
> ISPs essentially face the same dilemma, but I wonder if more can be
> done to make Tor resistant to evil usage.

Tor is neutral. You and I may agree that certain usage is unwelcome,
even abhorrent, but we cannot dictate how others may use an anonymising
service we agree to provide. If you have a problem with that, you
probably should not be running a tor node.

Best

Mick

 Mick Morgan
 gpg fingerprint: FC23 3338 F664 5E66 876B  72C0 0A1F E60B 5BAD D312
 http://baldric.net