[tor-relays] Increase of number of new relays and exit nodes

Jon torance.ca at gmail.com
Thu Aug 22 15:13:31 UTC 2013

On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 6:55 AM, Moritz Bartl <moritz at torservers.net> wrote:

> Hi Jon,
>
> On 18.08.2013 20:34, Jon wrote:
> > I have noticed over the past several months that the amount my exit
> > relay was being used has drastically dropped as the new relays and new
> > exits have come online.  Is this normal to see my usage drop noticeably?
>
> I don't see that with our relays. ( https://www.torservers.net/munin/ )
>
> Also, are there really more exit relays? From
> https://metrics.torproject.org/relayflags.png , it looks like there are
> indeed more non-exit relays, but not exit relays.
>
> --
> Moritz Bartl
> https://www.torservers.net/

Moritz,

I was making an assumption that there were more exit relays. I probably
should have done a bit more research on the specific. I was just going off
the number count of the relays listed.

However, i have noticed a dramatic decrease in my exit server over the past
several months, even back to last year. The only thing I could come up with
that would be related was the increase in relays. ( both exit and non-exit
).

I have done some changes in the past couple of days as in fine tuning and
cleaning the putr box, thinking that may have been part of my issue. At
this point to early to tell, but I am not expected much if any increase at
this point.

I also wonder with some of the changes in the Tor software adding more
entry guards, maybe when one hits the entry guard status, the server usage
drops?

Seems to me I had read that in one of the posts that more entry guards were
needed and the authority software for the authority servers had been
upgraded to add more entry guards. But I may be confused there.

If I go back the past 3 yrs, I can see a difference from what it was
running then, to where I am running now, which is a major drop in usage
with no changes, prior to the past couple of days.

Thanks,

Jon