[tor-relays] new relays

a432511 a432511 at mail49.org
Thu Aug 22 13:45:33 UTC 2013

Hello all,

I just spun up 2 relays (1 exit, 1 non-exit) in Amsterdam using
DigitalOcean as the VPS provider. It's been up for about 8 hours now.
Here was the message I sent to them regarding the servers:

Hello,

I just spun up a couple servers in Amsterdam to act as relays in the
Tor network (see https://www.torproject.org/about/overview.html.en). I
just wanted to file this ticket so that you were aware of those servers'
purpose. One is simply a non-exit relay meaning that all traffic is
encrypted and ultimately routed to another tor server before it connects
to the destination IP (no risk there). The other is an exit relay that
establishes the final connection for the client. This box has a bit more
risk because it's IP will be used for the connection. Now, according to
law, the exit relay cannot be held responsible for the traffic because
it is merely a pass-through server with no knowledge of the traffic -
much like any ISP - but there hasn't been a firm legal precedent set yet
to my knowledge.

The purpose of the Tor server is to facilitate internet traffic for
those that might be subject to laws that censor legitimate content
(China, North Korea, Iran, etc...). It also acts as a safety net for the
press so that they cannot be easily tracked when working on dangerous
assignments.

I read a couple other forum posts regarding your TOC and saw that you
pass the liability on to the customer because you don't have control
over what each droplet is used for. This is in essence the exact same
case with a Tor relay.

I have configured my exit relay to block a large number of ports that
are typically used for torrents to reduce the possibility of any
complaints.

Thanks,

Adam

End Quote */

And here is there response:

Hello,

While TOR exit-nodes are allowed under our TOS we strong discourage
them because of the abuse complaints they generate. As you mentioned,
you are responsible for any traffic generated by your droplets. While in
the future there may be a precedent that grants safe-harbor status to
TOR exit nodes, there is no such precedent under US Law at this time and
the responsibility remains with you. You will be responsible to resolve
any abuse complaints lodged against you related to this droplet. If we
can be of any further assistance please let us know.

Thanks
Ryan

Posted on 08/22/13 at 13:49
Gravatar Ryan Quinn

End Quote */

I am based out of the US. Is there anything I should be careful with
hosting an offshore Tor exit node? I already used the limited tor port
list that was in the wiki.

The other thing that I am weighing is just a moral question regarding
misuse of the Tor network for despicable things like child porn. I
understand that of all the traffic it is a small percentage and that
ISPs essentially face the same dilemma, but I wonder if more can be done
to make Tor resistant to evil usage.

Thanks.