[tor-relays] Experience with obfuscated bridge on Raspberry Pi Raspian

z0rc damian.goeldi at gmail.com
Mon Aug 19 23:00:35 UTC 2013

Hi,

As lately there were many discussions on getting Tor from the
experimental repository running on Raspian, I thought I would share my
experiences here.

First, I tried to install Tor following [1] and [2] and ran into the
same compatibility issues as most of you. But then I just downloaded the
soft-float version of Raspian "wheezy" from [3]. And I could install Tor
and obsproxy from the experimental repository without any issues (i.e.
without any compiling or complex configurations).

I ran the obfuscated bridge for a week and it relayed a few 100 MB
without any problems. The bridge is connected to a standard home cable
connection in Switzerland (router runs pfSense). Of course the load was
not too high due to only running an obfuscated bridge.

After the week I decided to shut the bridge down because I heard from
people being contacted by the police even though only running a non-exit
relay. As I share a flat with some friends, I absolutely cannot afford
being raided or similar. If anyone can give me some advice on running
non-exit relays at home in Switzerland, I might consider running the
bridge again.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Damian