[tor-relays] Exit node move from Win to LInux

Logforme m7527 at abc.se
Sun Aug 18 18:05:04 UTC 2013

var:
>> When the relay starts our Internet goes down. Its more like some
>> DNS problem but i cant point the finger on it. The connection is
>> still there but he need a lot of time to resolve the names.
>>
>> Is this a overkill for our router?
> My first question is, what kind of router are you using, and does the
> problem go away (for a short time or a long time) if you reset the
> router?  I am assuming a consumer-type router.
>
> Sometimes a lot of connections can overload consumer routers, this has
> definitely happened to mine with both Tor and Bittorrent.
>
> * The router can become overloaded and respond slowly or drop packets
> * The connection table can fill up, allowing existing connections to
>    work fine, but new connections fail intermittently (web pages half
>    load, DNS gets weird, etc)

I bought a ASUS RT-N56U based on the router ranking on smallnetbuilder:
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/rankers/router/result/1045-multi-functional-gigabit-superspeedn-router
The important numbers for me was the routing throughput (1268 Mbps) and
connections (35k). The routers ISPs provide are usually cheap garbage,
very low number of connections and bad throughput.
Wi-Fi was not important to me so a N600 router was fine. If you want
better Wi-Fi you can find modern "ac" routers ranked there as well. Just
make sure you get good routing throughput and lots of connections.