[tor-relays] Running a relay and a bridge relay in the same time?

Zack Weinberg zackw at cmu.edu
Sun Aug 18 13:43:36 UTC 2013

On Sun, Aug 18, 2013 at 9:30 AM, TonyXue <tonyxsuper at live.com> wrote:
> Is that possible to configure the server to run a relay and a bridge relay
> in the same time?

No - deliberately.  As I understand it, you don't want to put a relay
and a bridge on the same IP address, because bridges are not supposed
to be discoverable by reading the standard relay directory.
Adversaries engaging in denial-of-Tor-access tend to block *all*
traffic to relay IP addresses, you see.

If you can assign two IP addresses to a computer, you can then run a
bridge on one of them and a relay on the other, but they would have to
be separate Tor processes with separate configurations, and ideally
the addresses would be far apart from each other in IP space
(blockades have been known to be of entire netblocks).

> The comments in the torrc said that BridgeRelay 1 will
> make the server into a bridge relay. Does that mean the server will only be
> a bridge relay and not a relay anymore?

I believe that's correct.

zw