[tor-relays] Is it safe to run an exit node from a VPS provider?

Steve Snyder swsnyder at snydernet.net
Tue Aug 13 15:51:55 UTC 2013

On 08/13/2013 11:10 AM, Sindhudweep Sarkar wrote:
> Apologies if the reply goes to the wrong location in the thread.
>
> "... At least with Xen/KVM/VMware you're running on your own virtual disk..."
>

> Can't the virtual disk just be mounted by whoever has access? I don't think this is a large barrier to entry for anyone or a script looking for private keys. I could argue that pretty much every mac user has been getting software in the form of disk images, and these possibly non-technical users seem to have no issues.

Well, any VM host can mount and read an unencrypted disk image.

I guess the difference is ease of snooping.  While access to disk
contents and process info can be gotten by any hypervisor, some
platforms make it easier than others.

Again, though: running an exit node in a VM is better than not running
an exit node at all.