[tor-relays] Is it safe to run an exit node from a VPS provider?

Sindhudweep Sarkar sindhudweep.sarkar at gmail.com
Tue Aug 13 13:04:10 UTC 2013

Hi,

Over the past month I've been running a tor exit relay in a spare VPS
machine that I am not using.

It occurs to me know that this was probably a very poor idea, as I can't
control the physical access to the machine or encrypt private key.

In the good bad ISPs
page<https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/GoodBadISPs>,
I see that some cloud providers are listed (aws, etc). This implies that
such a practice is okay, but If linode or a malicious party wanted to read
the contents of /var/lib/tor/keys I don't think they'd have any difficulty
whatsoever. How do folks secure their relay's keys on a vps environment? Or
should I shutdown this relay and run a relay only when I am sure the keys
are secured?

-JB