[tor-relays] VPS Hardware Specification & Advice

torrelay at mail.md torrelay at mail.md
Tue Aug 6 15:13:38 UTC 2013

Greetings!

My ISP British Telecom is rate limiting my Internet connection despite
a big splashy advertising campaign earlier this year in which it
claimed that it would no longer rate limit during so-called 'peak
hours' or cap the bandwidth consumption when it reaches a ceiling that
they decide is 'too much'.

I've tried various bandwidth rates that are a sensible percentage of
the total available bandwidth but anything above a very small amount
(50-80KB/s) is being rate limited even though the total amount of
bandwidth available is approximately 30.00 Mbps downstream & 6.12 Mbps
upstream. Now even 50-80 KB/s is rate limited.

Well, it's the school holidays started recently here & BT have just
brought out a new streaming sports service which coincides with my
bandwidth being rate becoming limited from about 2 weeks ago. I was
able to run a consistently faster tor relay on British Telecom 7 years
ago than I can today & I don't want to speak with a telephone operative
in India who follows a script & will test my connection. I just take my
business somewhere else -- rant finished!

Consequently I've sourced a company, located in a Scandinavian
country, offering a VPS with 1TB of data consumption per month for
approximately 18 Euros (more than half the price of my shitty, crippled
British Telecom Internet connection) so I'll try this.

The cost of running the VPS is based on the hardware specification
which brings me to my question.

I plan to utilise the full 1TB of data each month & I'd like some idea
if the specification (below) is sufficient for an entry/middleman tor
relay using 1000GB bandwidth per month.

The hardware specification I've chosen is:

CPU Cores: 1 - exact details of CPU are not specified on the company's
website, problem?

RAM Memory: 1024 MiB

Traffic: 1000GB

Drive: 50GB

Price: 18 Euros

I'm completely new to VPS & am sure this will be a learning curve but
no matter I will try to see if I can make it work even if performance
of VPS might not be perfect.

If anyone has written a guide to hosting a tor relay on a VPS, I'd
welcome any links to further information or any other useful advice
based on experience of others.

Best regards,

Edvard.