[tor-relays] Raspberry Pi Relay Node Performance and future Plans on Documentation and more

Gordon Morehouse gordon at morehouse.me
Sun Aug 4 22:46:40 UTC 2013

Michael Berlin:
> Hi Gordon and Matthias,
>
> I've split your discussion from the original thread "Running exit-node in
> Germany" and created a new one.
>
> I fully agree with you that the Raspberry Pi is the perfect device to let
> others run a Tor Relay Node very easily. What follows is a long mail about
> my experiences and more thoughts about the Pi as relay.

Just wanted to say that I've seen this and will reply in depth soon.
I've just got my Pi relay running again and am experimenting with it and
attempting to gather all the tips in the dozens of blog posts about
running a Tor relay or a Bittorrent daemon (turns out, there are some
characteristics these applications share), figure out the useful ones,
and gather them all together.

I was hoping some people from the list could help me with the "figure
out the useful ones" and it looks like you got started before I could
ask.  :)

One thing I'm particularly concerned with, if these Pi relays are going
to be dropped onto non-technical but morally supportive folks' broadband
connections by their friends and relatives:  congestion control.  The
relay MUST NOT (following RFC definitions, heh) interfere with Netflix
or Youtube or this won't work out so well.

I also found the Adafruit HOWTO and was sad that it didn't mention
relaying much.

More later,
-Gordon