[tor-relays] Attacker IP database

Zimeon zimeon at null-byte.org
Sat Aug 3 08:51:59 UTC 2013

On 3.8.2013 11:17, Nick wrote:
> Quoth Bryan Carey:
>> Thanks everyone for your input! I already had root access disabled via sshd
>> config. I will look into fail2ban as it sounds like it remedies the problem
>> I'm having.
> Changing the port sshd runs on has a suprisingly large impact on
> reducing the number of these attacks, too. Of course it's only
> security by obscurity, but for the zombie attacks you're describing
> it's quite effective.
I would also recommend using a key file for SSH authentication and
disable password authentication. This way it's pretty much impossible
for the attacker to gain access using SSH.

quote from archlinux wiki:

SSH keys serve as a means of identifying yourself to an SSH server
usingpublic-key cryptography
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public-key_cryptography>andchallenge-response
authentication
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Challenge-response_authentication>. One
immediate advantage this method has over traditional password
authentication is that you can be authenticated by the server without
ever having to send your password over the network. Anyone eavesdropping
on your connection will not be able to intercept and crack your password
because it is never actually transmitted. Additionally, using SSH keys
for authentication virtually eliminates the risk posed by brute-force
password attacks by drastically reducing the chances of the attacker
correctly guessing the proper credentials.

As well as offering additional security, SSH key authentication can be
more convenient than the more traditional password authentication. When
used with a program known as an SSH agent, SSH keys can allow you to
connect to a server, or multiple servers, without having to remember or
enter your password for each system.

SSH keys are not without their drawbacks and may not be appropriate for
all environments, but in many circumstances they can offer some strong
advantages. A general understanding of how SSH keys work will help you
decide how and when to use them to meet your needs. This article assumes
you already have a basic understanding of theSecure Shell
<https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Secure_Shell>protocol and have
installed theopenssh
<https://www.archlinux.org/packages/?name=openssh>package, available in
theOfficial Repositories